The Take Off is essential for surfing. If you can’t do it right, you will rarely get a wave. That is why I present a workout, with which you can effectively train the needed muscle groups and their interaction. You should note that a Take Off on land is different as an actual take-off on the water. However, it will help you to get better when you train the muscles that you need for your Take Off on dry land.
The Take Off is a complex motion sequence. First you need to powerfully push up yourself up from your board, which is not so easy, after the rapid paddling for the wave. An optimal body tension is important. You’ll need upper body and core strength. Then you have to jump explosively, but controlled on your board. You have to be quick here and twist your hips. At least for a stable stand on the board you’ll need lower body strength as well.
I created a HIIT – Workout to improve your Take Off and selected the following exercises to HI(I)T all of those muscle groups. (What was HIIT again? Read here)
Take Off HIIT – The Exercises
Make sure you perform the exercises as accurately as possible. Make controlled movements and listen to your body. P.S.: It will take a little while to load the pics.
The push up is strengthen your chest and shoulder muscles. It will help you to push up powerfully from your board.
- Start in a plank-position
- keep your core stable, your body should form a straight line
- Slowly bend your arms until the chest almost touches the floor
- Keep your elbows close to your body
- Keep your elbows close to your body
- Push yourself back to the starting position
Squats strengthen your entire lower body – perfect for the strong and stable stand base you need.
- Start in a shoulder wide stance, your feet are slightly turned out
- Your weight is on the heels
- Lower your butt down to the back and go slowly into a squat, just as deep that you can hold the position by your own power
- Torso and back remain upright and straight, your knees go outside
- Press yourself powerful and explosive from the heels back into the starting position
- Push your hip forwards and tense your butt
Knee to elbow:
Knee-to-elbow is an exercise for a strong core and flexibility in your hips.
- Start in Plank position
- your core is stable
- Now move your right knee to your left elbow
- Twist to the side but make sure you are still stable in your upper body
- Go back to the starting position
- Repeat now with your left knee to the right elbow
High Jumps with turn:
High Jumps with a turn will provide you the power to jump on your board and they’ll also increase your condition and your explosiveness. By the turn you simulate the movement of twisting yourself while doing a Take Off.
- Start in an upright standing position
- Jump now with both legs and pull up your knees while turning about 90 ° to the right
- Knees outward, while landing roll on gently on your toes and foot pads
- Repeat the exercise now turning to the left
Down-Dog Push Up to Up-Dog Flow
This exercise will strengthen your shoulder girdle and stretch your back. Perform it possibly in one fluid motion.
- Start in downward facing dog
- Your body forms an inverted “V”. The feet are hip width apart
- Drag the tailbone upwards while your heels pressing down
- Let your head hang loose, shoulders and neck are relaxed
- Make a push up from this position
- Shift yourself forward into plank
- Bend your arms until your chest touches the floor
- Head, shoulders and your chest lift slowly from the ground into upward facing dog
- in one fluid motion lift the whole body. Push from your hands to the back foot until your arms are fully straighten
- Push yourself back into starting position
Push up – Take Off
Now we put it all together, this exercise prepares you perfectly for the Take Off on the water.
- Start with a Push Up
- Push legs and arms explosively up and rotate your hip (actually do your Take Off)
- Go back into Plank
- Repeat the exercise to the other side
Take Off HIIT – The Workout
These six exercises you will do in an interval of 50/10 – that means 50 seconds pushing hard and 10 seconds rest. In the App Store, there are many HIIT- or Tabata timer, where you can set the intervals.
If you one round is enough for you, just stop here. However, two or three rounds would be perfect. This will give you a short but challenging and highly effective training, which will make you fit and prepare you for your Take Off on the water.
Please let me know how you liked this training and leave me a feedback. Do not hesitate to ask your questions, if you have some.